Haynes sets mark, Texas-Arlington tops Lamar 75-71Feb 25, 2010 - 3:36 AM ARLINGTON, Texas(AP) -- Marquez Haynes scored 21 points to become Texas-Arlington's all-time single-season scoring leader in a 75-71 victory over Lamar on Wednesday night.
Haynes has 605 points, passing Sam Norton's 599 from 1983-84.
Tommy Moffitt and Brandon Long scored 16 apiece and LaMarcus Reed 10 for the Mavericks (16-10, 8-5 Southland Conference), who have won eight of their last nine.
Lamar (14-15, 5-8), which lost its fourth in a row, had two players with double-doubles. Justin Nabors had 14 points and 14 rebounds, and Coy Custer had 14 points and 11 rebounds. Anthony Miles added 14 points.
The Cardinals led 34-21 late in the first half, but the Mavericks scored the final seven points before intermission and then opened the second on a 17-2 run.
That 24-2 surge gave Texas-Arlington a 45-36 advantage with 14:25 to play. The closest the Cardinals got after that was the final six-point spread.
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- No. 22 SMU routs Lamar in opener Nov 15
- 22nd-ranked Mustangs begin season against Cardinals Nov 14
- Lamar axes Pat Knight Feb 16
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17