Western Carolina defeats Samford 61-44Feb 26, 2010 - 2:29 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Brandon Giles scored 19 points and Western Carolina beat Samford 61-44 on Thursday night to snap a two-game losing streak.
The Catamounts (20-10, 10-7 Southern Conference), who reached the 20-win mark for the first time since the 1971-72 season, remain in fourth place in the conference.
Keaton Cole added 11 points and Richie Gordon had 10 for the Catamounts.
A dunk by Gordon with 11:56 to play capped a 10-0 run to give the Catamounts a 39-30 lead. Samford scored the next five points, but the Catamounts responded with an 8-1 run capped by another dunk by Gordon to put the game out of reach at 47-35 with 6:35 to play. The lead remained in double digits the rest of the way.
The Catamounts shot 48.9 percent from the field (22 of 45).
Josh Davis led the Bulldogs (11-18, 5-12) with 13 points and Trey Montgomery added 10.
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17