High Point defeats Winthrop 71-66Feb 26, 2010 - 2:54 AM HIGH POINT, N.C.(AP) -- Nick Barbour scored 20 points, including going 9 of 9 from the free throw line, to help High Point defeat Winthrop 71-66 on Thursday night.
The Panthers (14-14, 9-8 Big South Conference) shot 73 percent from the foul line (27 of 37), including 14 of 18 in the second half.
The Eagles (16-12, 12-5) shot 41.4 percent from the floor (24 of 58), but connected on just 68.2 percent of their free throws (15 of 22).
High Point led 33-31 at halftime, but Robbie Dreher's 3 put Winthrop up 34-33, 39 seconds into the second half.
The Panthers then scored nine straight and led the rest of the way. Barbour's 3-pointer put High Point up 42-34 with 17:18 remaining.
Corey Law chipped in 14 points and 10 rebounds, and Eugene Harris had 12 points for the Panthers.
Matt Morgan scored 15 for the Eagles, who fell to third in the conference.
- NCAA BB
HIGH POINT 71 FINAL
Feb 25 9:15 PM
- NCAA BB
HIGH POINT 33 HALFTIME
Feb 25 7:58 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Ohio State crushes High Point Dec 11
- 12th-ranked Buckeyes take aim at Panthers Dec 10
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Huge second-half run lifts No. 2 Orange past High Point Dec 20
- High Point faces uphill climb in clash with No. 2 Syracuse Dec 20
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16