Loyola Marymount rallies to beat San Diego 72-69Feb 26, 2010 - 5:56 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Drew Viney scored a career-high 35 points to lead Loyola Marymount to a 72-69 win over San Diego on Thursday night.
Loyola Marymount (16-13, 7-6 West Coast), which has won five of six, has its highest win total since the Lions went 18-11 in 1995-96.
Viney, who also had eight rebounds, was 13-for-18 from the field, including four of his seven tries from 3-point range. Kevin Young finished with 13 points.
Chris Lewis scored all 13 of his points in the first half for San Diego (9-20, 2-11), which lost its sixth straight game. Roberto Mafra had 12 points and tied the school record with six blocked shots.
The Lions trailed the entire second half until Young hit a 3-pointer for a 67-65 lead with 2:41 left. Viney followed with a three-point play and hit a pair of free throws to put Loyola ahead 72-66 with 31.7 seconds left.
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30
- Toreros host Bulldogs in WCC action Dec 29
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23