Fairfield defeats Iona 71-54 to take 2nd in MAACFeb 27, 2010 - 3:40 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored a career-high 28 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as Fairfield defeated Iona 71-54 Friday night to determine sole possession of second place in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Johnson was 11-for-14 from the field and 6-for-8 from the free throw line for the Stags (19-9, 12-5), who won their 11th home game, the most since the 1977-78 season when they went 17-1.
Fairfield closed out the final 4:13 of the first half on a 10-0 run to lead 34-18 at the break, and the Gaels could get no closer than eight after that.
The Stags scored 22 points off 15 Gaels turnovers while Iona (20-9, 11-6) scored four points off 11 Fairfield miscues.
Derek Needham added 15 points for the Stags, who outshot the Gaels from the field 48.1 percent (26-for-54) to 35.2 percent (19-for-54).
Kyle Smith was the only Iona player in double figures with 12 points.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10