Southern U. defeats Alcorn State 60-57Feb 28, 2010 - 2:07 AM LORMAN, Miss.(AP) -- Julius Ingram scored 14 points and had 10 rebounds to lead Southern U. to a 60-57 victory over Alcorn State on Saturday night.
Quinton Doggett added 10 points for the Jaguars (5-23, 3-13 Southwestern Athletic Association), who outscored the Braves 5-2 in the final 3:30.
Doggett hit two free throws for a 57-55 lead, and 33 seconds later, hit another for a 58-55 lead with 1:14 to play. Nick Walls hit a free throw with 45 seconds left before Alcorn State's Ian Francis dunked to cut the deficit to 59-57 with 24 seconds remaining.
Blake Sanford's free throw increased the lead to 60-57 with 16 seconds left and Brandon Rogers missed a 3 with 8 seconds to play.
Keith Searcy scored 12 and Francis had 11 rebounds for Alcorn State (1-28, 1-15).
Southern shot 57.1 percent from the field (12-for-21) in the second half, but shot only 34.3 percent from the line (12 of 35).
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Taylor leads Texas rout of Alcorn State Nov 17
- Braves face tall task in clash with 10th-ranked Longhorns Nov 16
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20