ETSU costs Jacksonville top seed, 64-62Feb 28, 2010 - 2:18 AM JACKSONVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Isiah Brown scored 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as East Tennessee State hung on to beat Jacksonville 64-62 on Saturday after losing most of a 19-point lead.
The win by the Buccaneers (17-14, 13-7, Atlantic Sun Conference) cost the Dolphins (18-11, 14-6) the top seed in the conference tournament, which went to Lipscomb. Jacksonville will be the No. 2 seed and face North Florida on March 3 in Macon, Ga.
Ben Smith scored 28 points for Jacksonville, including eight in the final 3:19, when the Dolphins cut a 61-52 deficit to 63-62 with 47 seconds left.
After Micah Williams made one of two free throws for East Tennessee State with 9 seconds left, Smith's 3-point try at the buzzer was unsuccessful. He was 7-for-14 behind the arc in the game.
Williams scored 15 points and Tommy Hubbard 12 for East Tennessee State.
- NCAA BB
EAST TENN ST 64
JACKSONVILLE 62 FINAL
Feb 27 4:44 PM
- NCAA BB
EAST TENN ST 37
JACKSONVILLE 24 HALFTIME
Feb 27 3:26 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- No. 15 Florida cruises past Jacksonville Nov 25
- Sunshine State melee pits Gators against Dolphins Nov 25
- Indiana dominates Jacksonville Dec 29
- Jacksonville faces tall task in clash with No. 5 Indiana Dec 28
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9