Akron 74, Bowling Green 68Feb 27, 2010 - 10:56 PM BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (AP) -- Brett McKnight scored 15 points and Akron defeated Bowling Green 74-68 on Saturday.
The Zips (22-8, 11-3 Mid-American Conference) outrebounded the Falcons 22-9, scored 17 second-chance points and 23 off the bench in the first half.
Akron led 40-27 at halftime, and were able to overcome a 41-point second half by the Falcons (14-14, 6-9).
Trailing by nine, Bowling Green used a 6-1 run late in the second half to pull within 63-59 on Dee Brown's jumper with 2:31 left.
The Falcons pulled within four points three times, including 70-66 with 41 seconds to go.
After Otis Polk's layup pulled Bowling Green within 70-66, Chris McKnight went 4-for-4 from the foul line to seal it for Akron. It was the 11th win in the last 12 against the Falcons, and seventh out of the last eight overall for the Zips.
Polk finished with 17 points and Scott Thomas added 16 for Bowling Green.
- Bowling Green fires men's hoops coach for conduct breach Apr 2
- Jans named head coach at Bowling Green Mar 24
- Reports: Bowling Green to hire Wichita State's Jans Mar 23
- Bowling Green fires Orr Mar 11
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Balanced Badgers hammer Bowling Green Nov 22
- 12th-ranked Badgers set sights on Falcons Nov 21
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16