Gardner-Webb 86, N.C.-Asheville 89Feb 28, 2010 - 12:52 AM ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Matt Dickey scored 18 points and North Carolina-Asheville defeated Gardner-Webb 89-86 on Saturday.
Dickey also grabbed seven rebounds and dished out six assists for UNC-Asheville (14-15, 11-7 Big South Conference), which won four of its last five games to close out the regular season. John Williams chipped in with 17 points, nine rebounds and five blocks.
J.P. Primm nailed two free throws with 9 seconds left to put UNC-Asheville ahead by three, and Gardner-Webb's Grayson Flittner's 3-point attempt with 1.1 seconds left was off target.
Jonathan Moore scored a career-high 26 points for Gardner-Webb (8-21, 5-13), while Anton Silver added 20 points.
The loss officially ended Gardner-Webb's season. It finished the season tied with Virginia Military Insititute for the eighth and final spot in the Big South tournament, but VMI earned the spot by virtue of a tiebreaker.
- NCAA BB
UNC ASHEVILLE 89 FINAL
Feb 27 6:38 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC ASHEVILLE 37 HALFTIME
Feb 27 5:24 PM
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- Parker and Duke beat up UNC-Asheville Nov 18
- Duke entertains UNC Asheville in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 18
- No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC-Asheville by 32 Nov 8
- No. 1 Kentucky opens season against UNC Asheville Nov 8
- UNC Asheville tabs McDevitt as men's basketball coach Apr 26
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- Thompson and Thomas help Buckeyes down Bulldogs Dec 15