Old Dominion knocks off VCU 73-70Feb 28, 2010 - 12:07 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Gerald Lee scored 21 points as Old Dominion won the Colonial Athletic Association regular-season title with a 73-70 victory against Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday.
The win avenged a 70-58 loss to the Rams on Feb. 6, gave the Monarchs their first regular-season championship since the 2004-05 season and extended their home winning streak to 23 games, third-longest in the country.
Old Dominion will be the top seed in the CAA tournament, which begins Friday in Richmond.
The Monarchs (23-8, 15-3) trailed by four with 5:40 to play, but held the Rams (20-8, 11-7) to just four points in the final 5 minutes.
Ben Finney rattled in a 3-pointer to give Old Dominion a 69-68 lead with 2:08 to play.
The Monarchs shot 56.6 percent from the field and 60.9 percent (14-of-23) in the second half. The Rams shot 51.8 percent for the game and 50 percent in the second half.
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 70
OLD DOMINION 73 FINAL
Feb 27 6:03 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 35
OLD DOMINION 39 HALFTIME
Feb 27 5:00 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10