San Diego cruises past Pepperdine 65-48)Feb 28, 2010 - 6:44 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Roberto Mafra scored 13 points as San Diego beat Pepperdine 65-48 on Saturday night, handing the Waves their 11th straight loss.
San Diego (10-20, 3-11 West Coast) snapped its six-game losing streak and won for just the second time in 13 games. The Toreros shot 61.9 percent in the second half to pull away after holding a 28-25 halftime lead.
Brandon Johnson scored 11 points and Chris Lewis added 10 for San Diego, which finished the regular season with its worst conference record since going 1-13 in 2003-04.
Lorne Jackson scored 15 points to lead Pepperdine (7-23, 3-11), which has lost its last four games by an average of nearly 21 points.
The loss clinched the eighth and last seed in the upcoming WCC Tournament for the Waves. If Pepperdine wins its first game, the Waves would face No. 18 Gonzaga in the semifinals.
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 65 FINAL
Feb 27 10:45 PM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 28 HALFTIME
Feb 27 9:50 PM
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15