Penn State routs Northwestern 79-60Feb 28, 2010 - 7:26 PM By GENARO C. ARMAS AP Sports Writer
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.(AP) -- Talor Battle had 16 points and six assists and hot-shooting Penn State easily exploited Northwestern's defense in a 79-60 win on Sunday.
Jeff Brooks added 11 points and seven rebounds for the Nittany Lions (11-17, 3-13 Big Ten), who shot 57 percent to secure its fourth straight win over the Wildcats.
Michael Thompson had 21 points for Northwestern (18-11, 7-10). Their already faint hopes for a bid to the NCAA tournament were all but extinguished after a second loss this season to the conference's last-place team.
Only 3-point shooting went Northwestern's way during an otherwise terrible afternoon. They opened 7 of 11 from long range to stay within 27-24 with 7:45 in the first half.
But the 3s stopped falling, and Penn State found holes in Northwestern's zone.
Penn State led by 14 at the half and by 25 with 8 minutes left in the game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTHWESTERN 35 25 60
PENN STATE 49 30 79 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NORTHWESTERN - MICHAEL THOMPSON 21, JOHN SHURNA 9,
JEREMY NASH 8
PENN STATE - TALOR BATTLE 16, CHRIS BABB 14,
JEFF BROOKS 11
Feb 28 1:58 PM
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 49 HALFTIME
Feb 28 12:49 PM
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Penn State at a Glance Oct 27
- Penn State's Chambers hopes momentum translates to wins Oct 27
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27
- Freshmen expected to contribute heavily for Penn State Oct 7
- Northwestern rewards Collins with extension May 26
- Chambers signs extension with Penn State Mar 20
- Russell rallies Ohio State past Penn State Mar 4
- Buckeyes hit road to tangle with Nittany Lions Mar 4
- No. 5 Wisconsin hangs on to beat Penn State Feb 18