Late flurry lifts Rider past Canisius 86-70Feb 28, 2010 - 9:40 PM LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J.(AP) -- Justin Robinson scored 27 points and Rider scored the game's final 18 points to take an 86-70 win over Canisius on Sunday, in the regular season finale for both teams.
With the Broncs (16-15, 9-9 Metro Atlantic Athletic Association) trailing 70-68 with 4:40 to go, Robinson hit a pair of free throws, followed by back-to-back 3-pointers to spark the 18-0 run.
Robbie Myers capped the spurt, converting a Bob Bevilacqua turnover into a 3-pointer with 11 seconds left for the final margin.
The Golden Griffins (14-16, 8-10) turned the ball over four times during the run, leading to 12 points, all on 3s. Rider also went 5 of 6 from the free throw line during the run.
Ryan Thompson, averaging 23.5 points over the last eight games, finished with 17.
Frank Turner led the Golden Griffins with 16 points, Elton Frazier added 14 and Julius Coles 11.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Correction: T25-Rider-Maryland story Nov 23
- No. 20 Michigan State trounces Rider Nov 28
- Orlando Classic action pits Spartans against Broncs Nov 27
- No. 11 Kansas easily gets past Rider Nov 25
- Rider faces tall task in clash with Kansas Nov 24
- Villanova crushes Rider, moves to 11-0 Dec 21
- Villanova continues run against Rider Dec 21
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15