North Carolina beats Miami 69-62 for 2,000th winMar 3, 2010 - 3:12 AM By AARON BEARD AP Basketball Writer
CHAPEL HILL, N.C.(AP) -- Deon Thompson scored 14 points in his final home game to help North Carolina hold off Miami 69-62 on Tuesday night and become just the second team in NCAA history with 2,000 victories.
Fellow senior Marcus Ginyard added 12 points as the Tar Heels (16-14, 5-10 Atlantic Coast Conference) won consecutive games for the first time in 2010. Coming off a surprise win at Wake Forest, North Carolina got off to a fast start against the Hurricanes, then used a 13-0 first-half run to go ahead for good.
Hitting the 2,000-win mark provided an achievement in an otherwise frustrating centennial season for North Carolina, though Kentucky already reached that milestone in December. No. 2 Kansas has 1,997 victories heading into Wednesday's game against No. 5 Kansas State.
The Hurricanes (18-11, 4-11) made the Tar Heels work for it, cutting an 18-point deficit to one in the final 3 1/2 minutes.
- NCAA BB
MIAMI FL 62
NORTH CAROLINA 69 FINAL
Mar 2 10:00 PM
- NCAA BB
MIAMI FL 26
NORTH CAROLINA 36 HALFTIME
Mar 2 8:49 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31