No. 16 Tennessee beats Arkansas 80-73Mar 4, 2010 - 7:54 PM KNOXVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Scotty Hopson scored 15 points to lead No. 16 Tennessee to an 80-73 win over Arkansas on Wednesday night.
The Vols shot 54.5 percent for the game and had five players score in double figures, but it was a technical foul called on Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl that helped the Vols (22-7, 10-5 SEC) finally pull away from the Razorbacks (14-16, 7-8).
Early in the second half, Tennessee's Cameron Tatum was called for a charge. Pearl was charged with the technical for arguing the foul, and the Vols broke open a close game with a 10-0 run immediately after.
Bobby Maze capped off the run with a long pass between two defenders to J.P. Prince, who dunked it for a 61-48 lead with 11:26 left.
The Razorbacks would not get closer than six points from that point. Courtney Fortson led Arkansas with 21 points, but shot just 6-of-17.
Seniors Maze, Prince, and Wayne Chism, all finished in double figures on their final night at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Maze hit two 3-pointers to help Tennessee open up the second half on a 10-2 run and take a 49-38 lead with 17:14 left.
The Vols only led 39-36 at halftime despite shooting 57.7 percent from the floor to the Razorbacks' 39.4 percent.
Tennessee took an early 17-8 lead after Hopson punctuated a 9-0 run with a steal and reverse dunk, but Arkansas used several 3-pointers over the next few minutes to tie the game at 24 with 6:19 before halftime.
Stefan Welsh made a 3-pointer with 4 minutes left in the first half to give the Razorbacks a 31-30 lead, prompting Pearl to call a timeout.
Chism, the Vols all-time leader in games played, is the only member of this senior class to be at Tennessee all four years. UT is 98-36 during his career. He finished with 12 points and six rebounds.
Prince also added 12 for the Vols.
The Razorbacks are now on a four-game losing streak.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARKANSAS 36 37 73
TENNESSEE (16) 39 41 80 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: ARKANSAS - COURTNEY FORTSON 21, MICHAEL WASHINGTON
13, JEMAL FARMER 11
TENNESSEE - SCOTTY HOPSON 15, WAYNE CHISM 14, THREE
PLAYERS WITH 12
Mar 3 9:15 PM
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE (16) 39 HALFTIME
Mar 3 8:00 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22
- Arkansas reeling, postseason unlikely, following latest loss Feb 19
- Tennessee falls below .500, second-half collapses a concern Feb 1