Rhode Island defeats Charlotte 80-58Mar 4, 2010 - 2:44 AM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 18 points and Rhode Island used a second-half surge to pull away from Charlotte 80-58 on Wednesday night.
The Rams (21-7, 9-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) held the 49ers scoreless for more than 7 minutes in the first half to take a 24-20 lead and went into halftime with a 28-26 advantage.
The 49ers pulled ahead 37-36 on an An'Juan Wilderness layup with 15:34 left, then the Rams went on a 17-2 run to lead 53-39 with 9:03 to go.
Charlotte (19-10, 9-6) got within 66-54 with 5:15 to go, but Rhode Island closed out the game on a 14-4 run.
Rhode Island scored 23 points off 18 49ers turnovers.
Delroy James added 13 points, Lamonte Ulmer had 12 and Akeem Richmond 11 for the Rams, who shot 49.3 percent from the field (33-for-67).
Shamari Spears scored 13 points and Chris Braswell added 12 for Charlotte, which outrebounded Rhode Island 36-33.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 80 FINAL
Mar 3 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 28 HALFTIME
Mar 3 7:51 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26