Virginia Tech beats NC State 71-59Mar 4, 2010 - 7:54 PM BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Dorenzo Hudson and Malcolm Delaney each scored 21 points to help Virginia Tech snap a three-game losing streak Wednesday night in a 71-59 win over North Carolina State.
The Hokies (22-7, 9-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) broke open a close game with a 14-2 run to end the first half and took a 31-22 lead at halftime on freshman Manny Atkins' layup at the buzzer.
N.C. State hit one shot in the final 4:50 of the first half and turned the ball over four times in that span - which was part of a 13 turnover first half for the Wolfpack.
N.C. State (16-14, 4-11), which saw a modest two-game winning streak snapped, used a 10-0 run to cut the lead to two, 34-32, on two free throws by Javier Gonzalez with 16:17 remaining. But the Hokies responded by scoring the next 11 points, including nine on three 3-pointers by Delaney.
N.C. State got no closer than seven the rest of the way.
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25