Johnson's 29 points lead Texas State to 83-76 winMar 4, 2010 - 3:58 AM SAN ANTONIO(AP) -- Cameron Johnson scored 29 points and Texas State defeated UTSA 83-76 on Wednesday night.
Ryan White added 18 points for the Bobcats (14-15, 8-7 Southland).
Devin Gibson scored 13 to lead the Roadrunners (18-10, 8-7), who had their season-high five-game losing streak snapped.
After a back-and-forth beginning to the second half - six lead changes and five ties - Texas State took the lead for good with an 8-0 run that put it ahead 66-60 with 9:08 to play.
Gibson's layup cut the lead to four, but White then scored five unanswered points for the Bobcats. UTSA didn't get closer than six the rest of the way.
Texas State led for much of the first half and was up 17-7 4 1/2 minutes into the game. The Roadrunners, though, stayed close, and Demarco Stepter's free throw for UTSA sent the game into halftime tied 39-all.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS STATE 83
UTSA 76 FINAL
Mar 3 9:57 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS STATE 39
UTSA 39 HALFTIME
Mar 3 8:50 PM
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- Longhorns rout Texas State Dec 13
- Lone Star State showdown pits Longhorns against Bobcats Dec 13
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Texas State tabs Kaspar as men's hoops coach Apr 5
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Texas-San Antonio captures Southland title Mar 12
- Texas surges past Texas State Dec 11