Winston-Salem defeats SC State 61-59Mar 5, 2010 - 3:28 AM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Andrew Jackson hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to lift Winston-Salem to a 61-59 victory over South Carolina State in the regular-season finale for both teams on Thursday night.
Jackson's shot gave the Rams (12-17) their second victory in five games and erased a 59-58 lead that South Carolina State had taken on Darnell Porter's 3-pointer with 4 seconds to play.
Winston-Salem led 56-51 on Brian Fisher's layup with 2:31 remaining, but South Carolina State (16-12) went on a 5-0 run to tie the score at 56 on Jason Flagler's layup with 44 seconds to play.
The Rams shot only 21.4 percent from the field (6 of 28) in the first half, but shot 56.7 percent in the second (17 of 30). They also hit nine 3-pointers in 21 attempts (42.9 percent).
Fisher scored 15, Jackson added 13 and Lamar Monger 11 for the Rams.
Porter scored 16 and Flagler had 14 for the Bulldogs (16-13).
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 61
S CAROLINA ST 59 FINAL
Mar 4 9:46 PM
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 19
S CAROLINA ST 23 HALFTIME
Mar 4 8:38 PM
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- No. 12 Missouri wallops South Carolina State Dec 18
- South Carolina State comes calling on Missouri Dec 17
- No. 15 Pittsburgh holds off SC State Dec 17
- SC State comes calling on No. 15 Pittsburgh Dec 17
- Jones, Baylor rout South Carolina State Nov 23
- No. 9 Baylor entertains South Carolina State Nov 22
- Morgan State beats SC State 68-61 for MEAC title Mar 13
- SC State defeats Delaware State 70-66 in OT Mar 12