Alabama State defeats Grambling State 81-76Mar 5, 2010 - 4:42 AM MONTGOMERY, Ala.(AP) -- Tramayne Moorer and Menji Mundadi each scored 21 points and Alabama State held off Grambling State 81-76 on Thursday night.
Moorer grabbed 15 rebounds and made 6 of 11 field goal attempts for the Hornets (15-13, 12-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who have won six straight. Mundadi was 7 of 12 from the field as the Hornets made 27 of 50 (54 percent).
The win locks up the No. 3 seed in the conference tournament for the Hornets.
Alabama State went on a 12-0 run to lead 62-49 with 8:02 to play and led 75-61 with 1:39 left before the Tigers made a charge. The Tigers capped a 10-0 run on a jumper by Lance Fuertado to cut the lead to 75-71 with 1:01 to play. The Hornets then made 6 of 8 free throws to preserve the win.
Rupert Rose had 19 points, and Donald Qualls and Fuertado each had 18 for the Tigers (6-19, 4-13), who have lost six in a row.
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71 Nov 13
- No. 17 Marquette entertains Grambling State Nov 12
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14
- 21st-ranked Bearcats open season against visiting Hornets Nov 13
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Alabama State wins SWAC title over Grambling Mar 13