Northern Illinois tip-in tops Toledo, 60-58Mar 5, 2010 - 3:57 AM DeKALB, Ill.(AP) -- Xavier Silas scored 24 points, including the winning tip-in with 2 seconds remaining, and Northern Illinois defeated Toledo 60-58 Thursday night.
The Huskies (10-19, 6-10 Mid-American) overcame 33 percent shooting to win in their final home game of the season. Darion Anderson made just one of his 13 shots, but stole the ball from Toledo's Malcolm Griffin in the closing seconds. Anderson's missed shot was tipped in by Silas.
On Sunday, Northern Illinois will play at Eastern Michigan in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament while Toledo will play at either Buffalo or Miami (Ohio).
Jake Barnett, who scored 11 points, missed a shot at the buzzer for the Rockets (4-27, 1-15).
Sean Kowal added 12 points and led the Huskies with eight rebounds. Northern Illinois owned a 41-26 advantage on the boards.
Justin Anyijong had 14 points and 10 rebounds for Toledo.
- Detroit-area gambler sentenced in Toledo sports bribery Oct 1
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Okafor fuels Duke in win over Toledo Dec 30
- Duke gets back to work against Toledo Dec 29
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 15 VCU takes down Toledo Nov 18
- Rockets seek upset of 15th-ranked Rams Nov 18
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Toledo G Drummond suspended Feb 10