Vermont beat Maryland-Baltimore County 73-58Jan 2, 2010 - 9:33 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored his third straight double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds, and Vermont beat Maryland-Baltimore County 73-58 in the America East opener for both teams.
Maurice Joseph added 16 points, Evan Fjeld had 13 and Garvey Young 11 for the Catamounts (10-5), who won their third game in a row and eighth out of their last nine.
The Catamounts used an 11-2 run at the end of the first half to build a 39-28 halftime lead. UMBC cut the lead to 50-45 on a jumper by Shawn Grant with 10:14 remaining, but a few minutes later Vermont went on a 10-0 run to put the game out of reach at 65-49 with 5:17 to play. Blakely closed out the run with two free throws and a layup.
It was the third straight loss for the Retrievers (1-12), who lost in the America East championship last season.
Robbie Jackson led the Retrievers with 15 points and Gilliam Chauncey added 13.
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16
- Vermont goes for broke in NCAA tourney clash with North Carolina Mar 16
- Vermont downs Lamar, joins field of 64 Mar 14
- Vermont battles Lamar in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 14