Vermont holds off Maine for 64-56 winJan 8, 2010 - 2:54 AM ORONO, Maine(AP) -- Maurice Joseph scored 20 points and Vermont defeated Maine 64-56 on Thursday night.
The Catamounts (11-5, 2-0 American East Conference) trailed 25-20 with 4:29 left in the first half, but outscored the Black Bears 18-3 throughout the next 6:25. Garvey Young gave the Catamounts a 38-28 lead on a layup with 18:04 left in the game.
Maine (8-6, 0-1) answered one more time on a 15-4 run, taking a 43-42 lead on Terrance Mitchell's layup with 14:10 to go.
The two teams exchanged leads until Evan Fjeld put the Catamounts ahead 51-48 on a free throw with 5:31 remaining.
Fjeld finished with 11 points and Marqus Blakely added 11 points and 13 rebounds for Vermont, which won its third straight.
Vermont scored 24 points in the paint and tallied 21 points off of 16 Maine turnovers.
Mitchell finished with 13 points as the Black Bears snapped a three-game win streak.
- NCAA BB
MAINE 56 FINAL
Jan 7 9:06 PM
- NCAA BB
MAINE 26 HALFTIME
Jan 7 7:52 PM
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16
- Vermont goes for broke in NCAA tourney clash with North Carolina Mar 16