Albany holds off UMBC 76-69Jan 17, 2010 - 3:19 AM ALBANY, N.Y.(AP) -- Tim Ambrose scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half and Albany (N.Y.) beat Maryland-Baltimore County 76-69 on Saturday night.
Logan Aronhalt and Will Harris each added 13 points, and Mike Black had 12 for the Great Danes (6-13, 1-3 America East Conference), who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Albany trailed 40-34 at halftime and opened the second half with a 19-4 run, capped by a Scotty McRae jumper, to build its largest lead at 55-44 with 10:01 remaining.
UMBC (1-16, 0-4) closed within 68-63 with 1:21 left on a 3-pointer by Brian Weller. Mike Johnson and Aronhalt each sank two free throws for Albany in the final minute to seal the win.
The Great Danes, with 12 offensive rebounds, outscored UMBC 14-2 on second-chance points.
Gilliam Chauncey scored 21 points and Robbie Jackson added 10 for UMBC, which lost its seventh game in a row.
- NCAA BB
ALBANY 76 FINAL
Jan 16 8:58 PM
- NCAA BB
ALBANY 34 HALFTIME
Jan 16 7:50 PM
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Thomas leads Oklahoma past Albany Mar 21
- Albany challenges Oklahoma in East Regional action Mar 20
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Florida clamps down on Albany to kick off NCAA sojourn Mar 20
- Gators get started with Great Danes Mar 20
- Great Danes and Mountaineers tip off NCAA Tournament action Mar 18
- Albany tops Stony Brook to repeat as America East champ Mar 15
- Albany and Stony Brook meet for America East crown Mar 15
- Albany extends Brown's contract Aug 29
- Duke fights off Albany Mar 22