Allison layup lifts Maine over Boston U. 56-54Jan 28, 2010 - 4:12 AM ORONO, Maine(AP) -- Mike Allison rebounded his own missed layup and laid it in to beat the buzzer, lifting Maine to a 56-54 win over Boston University on Wednesday night and extending the Black Bears' winning streak to six games.
The America East Conference leader, Maine (14-6, 6-1) is off to its best start in league play, eclipsing the 1999-2000 team which started 5-2.
Freshman Murphy Burnatowski led the Black Bears with a career-high 14 points and Terrance Mitchell added 10.
Maine led 30-25 at halftime. The Terriers (11-10, 6-3), who entered the game having won six of their past seven games, briefly took the lead at 31-30, then the Black Bears regained control and built a 53-43 lead with 5:03 left.
Boston U. tied the game at 54 on a Jeff Pelage layup with 4 seconds to go, then Allison scored the winning basket.
Jack O'Brien and John Holland led the Terriers with 13 points each.
- NCAA BB
BOSTON UNIV 54
MAINE 56 FINAL
Jan 27 9:31 PM
- NCAA BB
BOSTON UNIV 25
MAINE 30 HALFTIME
Jan 27 8:15 PM
- No. 1 Kentucky pulls away in 2nd half against BU Nov 21
- Terriers face tall task in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 21
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- American takes down BU to win Patriot League crown Mar 12
- Eagles and Terriers meet for Patriot League crown Mar 12
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6
- No. 19 UConn cruises past Boston University Nov 17
- Terriers seek upset of 19th-ranked Huskies Nov 17
- No. 25 Harvard downs BU Dec 10
- Area rivals meet in clash between Crimson and Terriers Dec 10
- No. 4 Uconn uses strong second half to defeat Maine Nov 17