Stony Brook defeats UMBC 86-72Feb 17, 2010 - 2:34 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Muhammad El-Amin scored 26 points to lead Stony Brook to an 86-72 victory over Maryland-Baltimore County on Tuesday night, extending the Seawolves' winning streak to eight games.
El-Amin was 10-for-17 from the field and Chris Martin added 17 points as Stony Brook (19-7, 11-2 America East Conference) moved to one game ahead of Vermont in the conference standings.
El-Amin scored seven points to key a 19-5 run as Stony Brook turned a 38-34 halftime lead into a 57-39 advantage with 12:28 remaining. After UMBC's Chris De La Rosa hit two free throws, Stony Brook's Bryan Dougher hit a 3-pointer for a 60-41 with 11:57 to play.
The Seawolves shot 51.8 percent from the floor (29-for-56).
Dougher finished with 14 points and Tommy Brenton had 10 points and 11 rebounds.
De La Rosa scored 20, Shawn Grant 17, Robbie Jackson 12 and Matt Spadafora 10 points for UMBC (3-24, 2-12).
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28
- Seawolves head to land of Seahawks to test Huskies Dec 28
- Albany tops Stony Brook to repeat as America East champ Mar 15
- Albany and Stony Brook meet for America East crown Mar 15
- Stony Brook extends Pikiell Jun 27