UNLV beats San Diego State 76-66Jan 14, 2010 - 5:51 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Tre'Von Willis scored 17 of his 23 points in the second half, including nine in a row in one stretch, as UNLV defeated San Diego State 76-66 Wednesday night.
Willis, who entered the game as the Rebels' leading scorer with a 15.5-point average, broke a 50-50 deadlock with a layup that gave UNLV a 52-50 lead with 10:09 remaining.
Willis then scored the next seven points with a three-pointer and four consecutive free throws to give the Rebels (14-3, 2-1 Mountain West) a 59-50 lead with 8:35 left.
Chace Stanback had 10 of his season-high 18 points in the second half while Oscar Bellfield added 12 for UNLV.
Kawhi Leonard topped the Aztecs (12-5, 1-2) with 13 points. Tyrone Shelley and Malcolm Thomas scored 12 apiece for San Diego State.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5