Sanders scores 31, VCU defeats Hofstra 81-68Jan 13, 2010 - 2:53 AM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Larry Sanders scored a career-high 31 points to lead Virginia Commonwealth to an 81-68 win over Hofstra on Tuesday night.
Sanders, the Rams' leading scorer at 14.7 points per game, missed the Delaware game on Saturday while serving a one-game suspension for a flagrant act in VCU's loss at Drexel last week. He was 11-for-13 from the field and 9-for-12 from the free throw line with five rebounds and three blocks.
The Rams (11-4, 3-3 Colonial Athletic Association) took a 40-25 halftime lead after scoring 14 points on 10 turnovers. Free throws were the difference in the second half, with VCU making 19 of 24 to finish 23-for-30 from the line. The Pride (9-9, 2-4) hit 6 of 8 foul shots in the second half and 9 of 12 for the game.
Joey Rodriguez added 21 points and six assists for the Rams.
Charles Jenkins scored 23 points to lead Hofstra and Cornelius Vines added 17.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11