South Carolina State sneaks past Erskine 56-53Nov 14, 2009 - 3:47 AM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Khalif Toombs and Jason Flagler scored 10 points apiece to lead South Carolina State to a 56-53 win over Erskine in the Bulldogs' season opener on Friday night.
Flagler added a game-high eight rebounds. Carrio Bennett chipped in for South Carolina State with seven assists.
The Flying Fleet were paced by Brandon Wright, who finished with 17 points on 6 of 16 shooting. Marko Latinovic added eight points and six rebounds.
South Carolina State built its lead to as many as 17 points after two free throws from Devin McBride made the score 49-32 with 7:19 remaining. But Erskine went on a 19-5 run the rest of the way, and a jumper from Wright cut the lead to three with 8 seconds left. A missed free throw from Toombs gave Erskine one last chance to tie, but Nick Riley missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
The Bulldogs outrebounded Erskine 39-28.
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- No. 12 Missouri wallops South Carolina State Dec 18
- South Carolina State comes calling on Missouri Dec 17
- No. 15 Pittsburgh holds off SC State Dec 17
- SC State comes calling on No. 15 Pittsburgh Dec 17
- Jones, Baylor rout South Carolina State Nov 23
- No. 9 Baylor entertains South Carolina State Nov 22
- Morgan State beats SC State 68-61 for MEAC title Mar 13
- SC State defeats Delaware State 70-66 in OT Mar 12