South Carolina State holds off Allen 88-81Nov 20, 2009 - 3:44 AM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Darnell Porter scored 22 points and had five steals as South Carolina State held off Allen 88-81 on Thursday night.
Porter was 5-for-5 from the field, including a pair of 3-pointers, and 10-for-12 from the free throw line for the Bulldogs (2-0).
South Carolina State led by six points on two occasions in the first half, but Allen (3-2), an NAIA school, rallied for a 30-25 lead with 5:26 left.
After the Bulldogs took a 39-38 lead into halftime, they opened the second half with a 6-0 spurt and led by as many as eight points. Allen pulled ahead 62-61 on a 3-pointer by Byron Littlejohn with 8:13 left.
The game was tied twice more before Tyvon Williams put South Carolina State ahead 70-67 on a three-point play with 5:43 left. Allen drew within a point at 80-79 with 2:49 left, but could not regain the lead.
Littlejohn led the Yellow Jackets with 24 points.
- NCAA BB
ALLEN UNIV 82
S CAROLINA ST 88 FINAL
Nov 19 9:27 PM
- NCAA BB
ALLEN UNIV 38
S CAROLINA ST 39 HALFTIME
Nov 19 8:16 PM
- Penn coach Allen resigns Mar 9
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- UMES, Allen part ways after six seasons Mar 12
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- No. 12 Missouri wallops South Carolina State Dec 18
- South Carolina State comes calling on Missouri Dec 17
- No. 15 Pittsburgh holds off SC State Dec 17
- SC State comes calling on No. 15 Pittsburgh Dec 17
- Jones, Baylor rout South Carolina State Nov 23
- No. 9 Baylor entertains South Carolina State Nov 22