Valparaiso beats Georgia Southern 97-89Nov 28, 2009 - 3:20 AM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Brandon Wood scored a career-high 39 points to lead Valparaiso to a 97-89 win over Georgia Southern on Friday night.
Wood shot 13-for-18 and also grabbed nine rebounds for the Crusaders (2-3). Cory Johnson and Ryan Broekhoff chipped in with 14 points each in the Legends Classic.
After leading 47-39 at halftime, Valparaiso used a 10-0 run in the second half to jump out to a 65-44 lead with 13:06 remaining. Wood scored seven points during the run.
The Eagles (1-4) would cut the lead to six points after a layup by Antoine Johnson made the score 84-78 with 2:15 remaining, but Georgia Southern would get no closer the rest of the way.
The Eagles were led by Willie Powers, who scored 27 points. Antonio Hanson added 20 points.
The Crusaders shot 56.4 percent from the field (31-for-55) and had 23 assists.
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 89 FINAL
Nov 27 9:41 PM
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 39 HALFTIME
Nov 27 8:28 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21