Central Michigan defeats Eastern Michigan 56-55Mar 5, 2010 - 2:39 AM YPSILANTI, Mich.(AP) -- Jordan Bitzer had 18 points and seven rebounds as Central Michigan claimed a second straight Mid-American Conference West Division title after a 56-55 victory against Eastern Michigan on Thursday night.
Robbie Harman added 14 points for the Chippewas (15-14, 9-7 MAC), who won the title outright with Ball State's loss at Western Michigan on Thursday. Central Michigan receives the No. 2 seed and first-round bye in the MAC tournament, which begins on Sunday.
Carlos Medlock scored 27 points for Eastern Michigan (16-14, 8-8), and Justin Dobbins added 15. Dobbins had nine rebounds.
Harman tied the score a 55-55 on a 3-pointer with 1:17 remaining, and Jalin Thomas added a free throw with 44 seconds left. The Eagles had chances down the stretch, but Brandon Bowrey missed two free throws with 18 seconds left, and Medlock lost the ball out of bounds on a drive with four seconds to go.
- NCAA BB
CENTRL MICHIGAN 56
EASTRN MICHIGAN 55 FINAL
Mar 4 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRL MICHIGAN 30
EASTRN MICHIGAN 26 HALFTIME
Mar 4 7:38 PM
- Eastern Michigan cruises past NAIA Rochester (Mich) 86-58 Dec 8
- Buffalo downs Central Michigan for MAC title Mar 14
- Bulls lock horns with Chippewas in MAC title Mar 14
- No. 25 Michigan State beats EMU Dec 18
- Spartans set sights on soaring Eagles Dec 17
- Syracuse cruises past Eastern Michigan Dec 31
- Eagles hoping to soar past second-ranked Orange Dec 31
- Parker, Duke cruise past Eastern Michigan Dec 28
- Ninth-ranked Blue Devils set sights on Eagles Dec 28
- No. 21 UMass downs Eastern Michigan Dec 3
- Eagles hoping to soar past 21st-ranked Minutemen Dec 3
- Cauley-Stein, No. 3 Kentucky crush Eastern Michigan Nov 27