Savannah State defeats Allen 81-62Jan 30, 2010 - 11:41 PM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Tracy Rankins scored 20 points, and Rashad Hassan finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds as Savannah State defeated Allen University 81-62 on Saturday.
Arnold Louis added 17 points and eight rebounds for the Tigers (9-13), who have won four of their past five games.
The Yellow Jackets kept within striking distance for most of the game, but a 7-0 run midway through the second half gave Savannah State a 61-45 lead with 7:45 remaining. Allen never recovered from that, and would go on to trail by as many as 23 points.
Chavis Darby finished with 14 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Yellow Jackets, an NAIA team.
Savannah State outscored Allen 18-4 on fast break points, and shot 48.2 percent from the field (27-for-56).
Allen shot 34.3 percent (23-for-67), and was outrebounded 45-34.
- Penn coach Allen resigns Mar 9
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- UMES, Allen part ways after six seasons Mar 12
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12