UC Santa Barbara holds off Pacific for 68-67 winJan 11, 2010 - 1:53 AM SANTA BARBARA, Calif.(AP) -- Orlando Johnson scored 24 points, James Nunnally added 20 and UC Santa Barbara held off Pacific for a 68-67 victory Sunday.
The Gauchos (8-6, 3-1 Big West) led by nine with just over five minutes to play before their lead evaporated to 68-66 with 24 seconds remaining.
After Santa Barbara turned the ball over, Joe Ford went to the free-throw line for the Tigers (9-6, 2-1) with 20 seconds left and a chance to tie, but he missed the first before making the second.
Pacific got the ball back with 7 seconds remaining after Jon Pastorek missed two free throws for the Gauchos, but the Tigers turned the ball over.
Demetrece Young and Terrell Smith each scored 16 points to lead Pacific.
Santa Barbara ended the first half with a 14-3 run for a 32-23 lead. The Gauchos pushed their advantage to as many as 13 in the second half.
- NCAA BB
UC SNTA BARBARA 68 FINAL
Jan 10 8:15 PM
- NCAA BB
UC SNTA BARBARA 32 HALFTIME
Jan 10 6:47 PM
- Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire as new basketball coach Mar 16
- Suspended Pacific coach Ron Verlin leaves school Mar 3
- Wiltjer's career-high 45 points guides Gonzaga past Pacific Feb 20
- No. 3 Gonzaga sets sights on WCC crown Feb 19
- Gonzaga routs Pacific Jan 24
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with third-ranked Zags Jan 24
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- No. 24 Gonzaga handles Pacific Jan 5
- Pacific comes calling on No. 24 Gonzaga Jan 4
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3