Davidson takes third in Holiday FestivalDec 22, 2009 - 2:25 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Jake Cohen scored 18 points, including a three-point play with 45 seconds left, and Davidson beat Hofstra 61-52 on Monday night in the third-place game of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
Cohen, a 6-foot-10 freshman, was fouled as he made a reverse layup with 45 seconds left. His free throw gave the Wildcats (4-8) a 60-52 lead with 45 seconds to play.
Davidson lost 91-88 to Cornell in the opening round when Ryan Wittman hit a 30-foot shot at the overtime buzzer.
Chaz Williams had 14 points for Hofstra (7-5), which lost to St. John's in the opening round.
Davidson took a 46-33 lead on two free throws by Brendan McKillop with 8:06 left. The Pride closed to 53-48 on a three-point play by Charles Jenkins with 2:26 left.
Jenkins scored with 53 seconds remaining to make it 57-53 and Cohen made his three-point play 8 seconds later.
- NCAA BB
HOFSTRA 52 FINAL
Dec 21 9:00 PM
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- Hofstra's rise close to being complete Oct 22
- Hofstra coach Mihalich agrees to extension Jun 1
- White dominates as Iowa downs Davidson Mar 21
- South Region pits Hawkeyes against Wildcats Mar 20
- VCU beats Davidson to reach A-10 title game Mar 14
- Rams and Wildcats collide in A-10 bout Mar 14
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- Davidson hands No. 22 Dayton first A-10 loss Jan 20
- Davidson hosts No. 22 Dayton Jan 20