Southern California defeats Saint Mary's, 60-49Dec 24, 2009 - 1:05 AM HONOLULU(AP) -- Mike Gerrity scored 17 points and Nikola Vucevic added 15 points with seven rebounds to lead Southern California to a 60-49 win over Saint Mary's in a Diamond Head Classic semifinal game Wednesday.
The Trojans (7-4) fell behind early, but took the lead for good on a Marcus Johnson basket with 11:09 left in the first half, which ignited a 19-5 USC run.
The Gaels (10-2) were held to a season low in scoring and shot just 30 percent (16-for-53) from the field.
USC opened the second half with a 6-0 run, which was capped by a 17-foot jumper by Vucevic to give the Trojans their largest lead at 39-23. Saint Mary's closed within 47-43 with 4:48 left on a Mickey McConnell layup, but Gerrity drained a 3-pointer on USC's next trip down the floor.
McConnell had 17 points and Omar Samhan added 13 for Saint Mary's.
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Southern California looks to improved talent to find way up Oct 28
- Southern California Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 7 Arizona eases past USC Feb 20
- Pac-12 tilt pits Wildcats against Trojans Feb 19
- No. 11 Utah routs USC Feb 2
- Utes seek redemption in Pac-12 clash with Trojans Feb 1