Virginia slips past N.C.-Wilmington 69-67Jan 19, 2010 - 2:07 AM CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Sylven Landesberg hit a 15-footer with 2.2 seconds left Monday night, lifting Virginia to a 69-67 victory against North Carolina-Wilmington.
Virginia (12-4) won its eighth straight, its longest winning streak since the start of the 2003-04 season, but had to make a late comeback to do it.
Wilmington (6-12) trailed before a 21-4 run gave it a 61-58 lead with 3:58 to play. The visitors were ahead 64-60 with 2:57 left before Virginia rescued itself with a 9-3 run.
Jerome Meyinsse scored a career-high 14 points and Mike Scott had 12 for Virginia.
Ahmad Grant led the Seahawks with 19 points, 17 coming in the second half when he made 5 of 6 3-pointers. Wilmington also got 17 points and eight assists from Chad Tomko.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA WILMI 27 40 67
VIRGINIA 34 35 69 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NORTH CAROLINA WILMINGTON - AHMAD GRANT 19, CHAD TOMKO 17,
JOHNNY WOLF 7
VIRGINIA - SYLVEN LANDESBERG 19, JEROME MEYINSSE
14, MIKE SCOTT 12
Jan 18 8:50 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC WILMINGTON 27
VIRGINIA 34 HALFTIME
Jan 18 7:42 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4