Morgan State defeats Norfolk State 100-94 in OTJan 31, 2010 - 9:39 PM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Kevin Thompson scored 21 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to help Morgan State defeat Norfolk State 100-94 in overtime on Sunday.
The Bears (15-7, 6-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) trailed 90-89 with 2:35 left in the extra period, before scoring eight straight. Dewayne Jackson's dunk gave Morgan State a 97-90 lead with 24 seconds left.
Reggie Holmes scored 19, Troy Smith and Jackson added 18 points apiece, and Sean Thomas chipped in 16 for the Bears.
Morgan State, which trailed by as many as 11 with 16:08 to go, won its seventh straight.
The Spartans (3-16, 2-5) led 78-74 with 2:40 left in regulation, but the Bears went on a 9-4 run. Morgan State took a 85-82 lead on Thompson's layup with 10 seconds to go. Rob Hampton's 3-pointer with 5 seconds left sent it into overtime.
Michael Deloach scored 34 points for Norfolk State, and Kyle O'Quinn added 17.
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 100
NORFOLK ST 94 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 31 4:16 PM
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 37
NORFOLK ST 41 HALFTIME
Jan 31 2:49 PM
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- Evans leaving Norfolk State Apr 15
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16