Nelson's late surge lifts Niagara to 85-79 winFeb 21, 2010 - 3:40 AM MILWAUKEE(AP) -- Anthony Nelson scored eight straight points in the final minutes for Niagara, helping the Purple Eagles overtake Wisconsin-Milwaukee 85-79 in a nonconference BracketBusters series game Saturday.
Niagara (16-13) trailed 72-68 with 4:30 remaining when Nelson accounted for all of the Eagles' points during an 8-2 run that put them on top for good, 76-74, with 1:58 left. Bilal Benn followed with a 3-point play to extend the lead to 79-74.
Tyrone Lewis led Niagara with 23 points and five rebounds. He is two rebounds away from becoming the first player in Metro Atlantic Conference history with 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 200 steals.
Benn added 19 points, and Nelson finished with 14 points and nine assists.
Ricky Franklin led Wisconsin-Milwaukee (16-13) with 22 points and seven assists. James Eayrs added 14 points.
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 79 FINAL
Feb 20 10:08 PM
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 42 HALFTIME
Feb 20 8:49 PM
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Fired Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter: It's been a difficult day Mar 17
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Wisconsin rolls over Milwaukee Dec 10
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 10
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee banned from postseason Apr 9
- Strong second half sends Villanova past Milwaukee Mar 21
- East Regional action sets Wildcats against Panthers Mar 20
- Milwaukee earns NCAA berth with Horizon League title Mar 11
- Panthers and Raiders duke it out for Horizon crown Mar 11
- Brust, Badgers take down Milwaukee Dec 11
- Badgers hope to continue dominance over visiting Panthers Dec 11