Eastern Illinois slips by Northern Illinois 73-70Feb 21, 2010 - 3:00 AM CHARLESTON, Ill.(AP) -- Tyler Laser scored 19 points as Eastern Illinois edged Northern Illinois 73-70 in a BracketBusters game Saturday night.
Eastern Illinois led 69-62, but the Huskies scored seven unanswered points to tie it with 47 seconds left.
Curry McKinney broke the Panthers' with two free throws for a 71-69 lead with 35 seconds left.
Northern Illinois' Darion Anderson was then fouled trying a 3-pointer with 3 seconds left, giving the Huskies a chance to lead. But he sank only one free throw, and the Panthers survived.
T.J. Marion added 13 points and Zavier Sanders and McKinney 11 each as the Panthers (16-11) won their fifth in a row. Ousmanne Cisse grabbed 14 rebounds, helping Eastern Illinois clinch its first winning season since 2001, when it went to the NCAA tournament.
Sean Kowal scored 20, Xavier Silas 19 and Mike DiNunno 11 for the Huskies (8-18), who lost their 10th straight.
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- Groselle, Creighton down Eastern Illinois Nov 26
- Panthers visit Bluejays in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 25
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- No. 22 UMass crushes Northern Illinois Dec 14
- Minutemen get back to work as they host Huskies Dec 14
- Northern Illinois held to 4 points in first half Jan 26
- Eastern Illinois names Jay Spoonhour head coach Apr 6