Denver turns back Florida International 71-64Mar 7, 2010 - 6:38 AM HOT SPRINGS, Ark.(AP) -- Brian Stafford and Justin Coughlin scored 17 points apiece Saturday to lead Denver over Florida International 71-64 in an opening-round game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Nate Rohnert and Chase Hallam added 14 points each for the sixth-seeded Pioneers (18-12), who advance to face No. 3 Middle Tennessee on Sunday. Rohnert also had nine rebounds for Denver.
Phil Gary had 23 points for Florida International (7-25), which lost its ninth straight game. Marlon Bright added 16 points and nine rebounds, and Stephon Weaver had 12 points.
Denver's 18 wins are the second-most in its Division I history and the most by the Pioneers since going 20-11 in 2004-05.
Both teams spent a lot of time at the free-throw line Saturday. Denver was 27 for 35 at the line, while Florida International was 21 for 26.
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12