New Hampshire beats Maine 68-57, moves on to semisMar 7, 2010 - 4:20 AM WEST HARTFORD, Conn.(AP) -- Brian Benson had 13 points and nine rebounds and New Hampshire defeated Maine 68-57 on Saturday night in the quarterfinals of the America East Conference tournament.
The sixth-seeded Wildcats (13-16), the only one of the lower four seeds to advance, will face second-seeded Vermont on Sunday.
New Hampshire lost both its regular season meetings with third-seeded Maine (19-11), and didn't lead in either.
The Wildcats took their first lead over the Black Bears this season, 24-23, on Benson's layup with 3:10 left in the first half.
Trailing 27-26 shortly after halftime, New Hampshire went on a 24-6 run, sparked by all eight of Colbey Santos' points to pull away.
Alvin Abreu also had 13 points for the Wildcats.
Sean McNally had 16 points and 12 rebounds for Maine, which had just 10 field goals after the first 5:53 and went 21-for-34 from the free throw line.
- New Hampshire rolls over Worcester State 100-66 Dec 8
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6
- Marquette holds off New Hampshire Nov 22
- Golden Eagles seek redemption in clash with visiting Wildcats Nov 21
- No. 4 Uconn uses strong second half to defeat Maine Nov 17
- No.4 UConn plays host to Maine Nov 17
- Walker scores 30 as UConn holds off New Hampshire Nov 30
- Vermont beats New Hampshire 57-38 in America East Mar 7
- New Hampshire knocks off Stony Brook 77-55 Feb 28