Southern Miss beats Tulane 57-47Mar 10, 2010 - 11:31 PM TULSA, Okla.(AP) -- Gary Flowers had 17 points and 14 rebounds as Southern Miss defeated Tulane 57-47 in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament Wednesday.
Southern Miss, the sixth seed, will play third-seeded UAB in a quarterfinal matchup Thursday.
The Golden Eagles (19-12) never trailed against Tulane, scoring the first eight points.
Torye Pelham's three-point play - a dunk and a free throw - put Southern Miss up 19-8 with 10:45 left in the half. They led 25-16 at halftime.
The Golden Eagles' biggest lead was at 41-27 in the second half. The Green Wave (8-22) never got closer than eight points the rest of the way.
Pelham and Angelo Johnson scored 11 points for Southern Miss, which made just 33 percent of its shots (19-for-58). Tulane, which struggled even more at 31 percent (19-for-62), got eight points apiece from Kris Richard and Johnny Mayhane.
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- St. John's buries Tulane to continue roll Dec 28
- Tulane challenges No. 17 St. John's Dec 28
- No. 13 UW pulls away from Tulane Dec 23
- Green Wave hoping to hand Huskies first loss of season Dec 22
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29