Cal State Fullerton turns back Northridge 84-76Mar 11, 2010 - 4:31 AM ANAHEIM, Calif.(AP) -- Jer'Vaughn Johnson had 20 points and a career-high 12 rebounds to lead Cal State Fullerton to an 84-76 victory over Cal State Northridge in the first round of the Big West Conference tournament Wednesday night.
Devon Peltier added 19 points and Gerard Anderson had 15 points, seven assists and six rebounds for the fifth-seeded Titans (16-14), who will face fourth-seeded UC Davis in the quarterfinals Thursday night.
Mark Hill scored 15 points for the eighth-seeded Matadors (11-21), who lost eight of their final 10. Willie Galick and Kenny Daniels each added 13 points, and Vincent Cordell had 12 points and a career-best 13 rebounds.
Northridge played without forward Lenny Daniel, who was suspended for failing to fulfill academic requirements, the college announced.
Daniel was the Matadors' leading rebounder at 7.8 per game and second-leading scorer at 11.7 points. He also set Northridge's single-season record for blocks with 44.
- Coggins' 19 leads CS Fullerton past CS East Bay, 75-52 Jan 3
- Blackshear scores 31 as Louisville routs CS-Northridge Dec 24
- Matadors hit road to challenge fourth-ranked Cardinals Dec 23
- Johnson, Arizona cruise past CS Northridge Nov 17
- Matadors seek upset of second-ranked Wildcats Nov 16
- Matadors visit 16th-ranked Aztecs to tip off season Nov 14
- Coggins transfers from Air Force to Cal State Fullerton Jul 30
- Cal Poly clinches Big West, first NCAA berth Mar 16
- Big West championship game pits Mustangs against Matadors Mar 15
- Marquette tops Cal State Fullerton Nov 28
- Golden Eagles eye up Titans in Wooden Legacy Nov 28
- Taylor named CS Fullerton coach Apr 3