Alabama State defeats Alabama A&M 56-45 in SWACMar 11, 2010 - 11:26 PM BOSSIER CITY, La.(AP) -- Tramayne Moorer scored 18 points as Alabama State defeated Alabama A&M 56-45 Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.
The third-seeded Hornets (16-14) advance to play second-seeded Arkansas-Pine Bluff (15-15) in the semifinals on Friday. The teams split the regular-season series.
Alabama State, which posted its eighth straight victory over Alabama A&M (11-16), also eliminated the Bulldogs in last year's SWAC tournament on the way to the title.
Sixth-seeded Alabama A&M, which was last in the SWAC in field goal percentage in the regular season, missed all 12 3-pointers and shot 26 percent from the field (14-for-53).
Cornelius Hester led the Bulldogs with 13 points.
The Hornets' 27-18 halftime advantage was cut to two in the opening 2 minutes of the second half. Alabama State then pushed the lead to 14 at the 10-minute mark.
- New Mexico opens with easy win over Alabama A&M Nov 10
- Lobos open season against visiting Bulldogs Nov 9
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- No. 20 Michigan routs Alabama A&M Dec 17
- Alabama A&M pays visit to No. 20 Michigan Dec 17
- Crimson Tide stay perfect, down Bulldogs Nov 24
- Tide expected to roll in clash with visiting Bulldogs Nov 23
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14
- 21st-ranked Bearcats open season against visiting Hornets Nov 13
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Alabama State wins SWAC title over Grambling Mar 13