Houston Baptist defeats NJIT 74-64Mar 13, 2010 - 4:53 AM OREM, Utah(AP) -- Andrew Gonzalez scored 24 points to lead Houston Baptist past NJIT 74-64 Friday night in the Great West Conference tournament semifinals.
Houston Baptist (12-20) will face regular-season champion South Dakota in the title game Saturday night. The conference, playing its first full season schedule and postseason tournament, does not get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
The Huskies led 21-7 in the first 8 minutes before NJIT (10-21) came back to lead 37-34 at halftime.
Miles Dixon scored 15 points, Wendell Preadom scored 11 and Mario Flaherty had 10 rebounds for Houston Baptist.
The Highlanders had four players in double figures. Chris Flores, who was 12-for-12 from the free-throw line, finished with 17 points. Sammy Schickel scored 14, Jheryl Wilson 13 and Isaiah Wilkerson 11.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Michigan buries Houston Baptist Dec 7
- Huskies come calling on 22nd-ranked Wolverines Dec 7
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- North Dakota claims second straight Great West Conference title Mar 10