Davies helps BYU beat CreightonDec 2, 2010 - 4:35 AM Omaha, NE (Sports Network) - Brandon Davies scored a career-high 24 points and No. 21 BYU remained undefeated with a 77-65 victory over Creighton in the Mountain West/Missouri Valley Challenge at Qwest Center.
Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery had 13 points apiece for the Cougars (7-0), who were coming off back-to-back narrow victories -- a double-overtime win over South Florida and a one-point victory against St. Marys-CA.
Fredette, the team's leader, added five rebounds, three assists and two steals in the win, but head coach Dave Rose said it was a great team win.
"You take a look at the numbers and it's amazing how we shared the ball. We had a couple guys really step up and help us rebound the ball," Rose said. "We relied so much on Jimmer this weekend that it was nice to see him trust his teammates and then everybody come through."
Kyle Collinsworth had 12 points and a career-hogh 10 rebounds for the victors.
Doug McDermott posted 20 points and 12 boards for Creighton (4-3), which has lost two straight. Antoine Young had 15 points and Darryl Ashford 12 in defeat.
BYU scored 10 unanswered points midway through the first half to take a 24-12 lead -- the run was finished by an Emery three-pointer -- and held a 34-28 advantage at the break.
The contest remained interesting when the Bluejays started the second half with a three-pointer and moments later a free throw to make the score 35-32.
With 12 minutes remaining Ethan Wragge drilled a trey for Creighton to knot the game at 48. During the comeback run, the Bluejays hit three shots from beyond the arc.
The comeback would not continue, however, and the Cougars went on a 10-point spurt capped by Noah Hartsock's dunk to put them up 61-51 with 8:15 left to play. The Bluejays would not threaten the rest of the way and BYU cruised to the win.
The Cougars are 6-3 in the series...Creighton shot 83.3 percent from the charity stripe as a team (10-of-12)...BYU outrebounded the Bluejays 41-31, while scoring 34 points in the paint to Creighton's 18.
- BYU: 77
Dec 1 9:53 PM
- BYU: 34
Dec 1 8:46 PM
- BYU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 8:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18