Hopson, No. 11 Tennessee beat third-ranked PittDec 11, 2010 - 11:32 PM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Scotty Hopson scored a career-high 27 points to lead 11th-ranked Tennessee to an 83-76 victory over No. 3 Pittsburgh at the Consol Energy Center.
Melvin Goins made 10-of-12 free throws en route to 19 points for the Volunteers (7-0), who got 14 points from Cameron Tatum.
Brad Wanamaker totaled 21 points and nine assists with five rebounds and five steals for the Panthers (10-1). Gilbert Brown and Ashton Gibbs both donated 15 points in defeat.
Pitt opened the game's scoring on a Wanamaker layup. It proved to be the only time the Panthers possessed the lead.
Tennessee built a 37-25 lead at the break and led by 21 at 61-40 on a John Fields dunk midway through the second half.
The Panthers rallied to trim their deficit to 74-66 on a Gibbs' three-pointer with 1:27 remaining. But the comeback bid fell short as the Vols sealed the win at the charity stripe.
The Vols are 7-0 for the first time under head coach Bruce Pearl...Pitt shot just 32.1 percent (9-of-28) in the first half...Tennessee made 7-of-11 three- pointers...The Panthers converted only 25-of-42 free throws...The Vols have won four of the five all-time meetings with Pitt...Saturday's contest was part of the Big East/SEC Invitational.
- TENNESSEE: 83
Dec 11 5:44 PM
- TENNESSEE: 37
Dec 11 4:14 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 3:26 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22