Joseph's late bucket gives Longhorns win over UNCDec 19, 2010 - 2:29 AM Greensboro, NC (Sports Network) - Cory Joseph drained a go-ahead jumper with 1.4 seconds remaining in regulation to lift No. 22 Texas to a 78-76 victory over North Carolina at the Greensboro Coliseum.
The Tar Heels pulled even on Harrison Barnes' three-pointer with 12.7 seconds left. Following a Texas (9-2) timeout, Joseph hit a fallaway jumper from the top of the key to seal the Longhorns' third straight win.
Jordan Hamilton scored 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for Texas, while Joseph finished with 21 points.
"I thought our guys were really tough in the last four minutes," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes. "Both teams played their hearts out, and it was a great win for us."
Dexter Strickland netted 18 points to pace North Carolina (7-4), which saw its win streak halted at three games.
"We had our chances. We made some mistakes," said North Carolina head coach Roy Williams. "And what really, really hurt us badly was rebounding the ball, particularly early in the game and our turnovers that led out to some baskets for them was something that really hurt us in the game."
The Tar Heels trailed by as many as 10 in the opening frame before rallying to take a 33-32 lead at the break.
A John Henson dunk put North Carolina up 47-40 five minutes into the second half, and the Tar Heels maintained that advantage over the next 10 minutes. However, the Longhorns put together a 10-2 run to seize a 70-69 lead with about three minutes to play.
North Carolina's Tyler Zeller followed with consecutive baskets to make it 73-70, setting up the wild finish.
Texas leads the all-time series, 4-2, including wins in each of the last four meetings...Gary Johnson and J'Covan Brown totaled 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Longhorns...Barnes had 16 points and Zeller contributed 14 with seven rebounds.
- TEXAS: 78
NORTH CAROLINA: 76
Dec 18 6:15 PM
- TEXAS: 32
NORTH CAROLINA: 33
Dec 18 4:59 PM
- TEXAS: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 4:05 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31