No. 12 Texas cruises past Texas TechJan 12, 2011 - 5:00 AM Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) - Tristan Thompson totaled 20 points and six rebounds as 12th-ranked Texas dominated Texas Tech, 83-52, at United Spirit Arena.
Jordan Hamilton had 16 points and seven boards while Cory Joseph added 15 points for the Longhorns (13-3, 1-0 Big 12), who dropped an 82-81 decision in overtime to Connecticut on Saturday.
"Today was a hard game," Thompson said. "Texas Tech's big guys are really talented but because we set the tone early of creating space and everyone getting to the open spots it just gave me the opportunity to do what I did tonight."
Robert Lewandowski scored 13 points to lead the Red Raiders (8-9, 0-2), who have lost their past two games.
A Brad Reese layup with 13 minutes to play in the first half gave the Red Raiders a 12-11 lead, but the Longhorns scored the next 10 points with Thompson's layup giving the team a 21-12 lead with eight minutes left.
Texas later scored the final five points of the first half and took a 38-22 lead into the break.
An 8-0 run early in the second half capped by a Thompson free throw made it a 48-23 game less than three minutes in.
The Red Raiders scored the next four points, but that was as close as they got as the Longhorns answered with a 16-4 burst to put the game away.
"Guys quit moving and cutting." Texas Tech head coach Pat Knight said. "I thought we did a better job of that in the second half but players just stand and go one on one in the first half. But it wasn't just us, that was a really good team. To beat them, you have to play almost perfectly and we didn't even come close to that."
Texas hosts Oklahoma on Saturday...Texas Tech plays at Kansas State on Saturday...Texas holds a 73-53 advantage over Texas Tech in the series...Texas made 54 percent of its baskets while Texas Tech connected on just 39 percent, including an 0-for-11 effort from three-point range.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4